Sites of Interest

St Nicholas and St CyriacSt Nicholas and St Cyriac
The fine church (St. Nicholas and St. Cyriacus) is of considerable interest. It is built entirely of local slates, the tower being a notable example of building in this stone. The present fabric is mainly late 15th century in date, but the core of the church may be that of the building consecrated by Bishop Stapeldon on 24 August 1318. The rood-screen, a fine example, is probably c. 1500 or a little later, and is similar to that of Dartmouth. In the S. transept is a female effigy (early (4th century), either a Courtenay or a Chichester. The Easter sepulchre is occupied by the tomb and effigy of Thomas Briant, rector of S. Pool and Portlemouth (living 1536). At the back of the recess is a carving of the Resurrection. There are monuments to Leonard Darre, Esquire, and his wife (1608, 1615), and a splendid Norman font.

The Village HallThe Village Hall
South Pool has a charming old Village Hall which is used regularly for Village events.  Originally a stable block for The Old Rectory, in 1932 the Church allowed the building to be used as a Youth Club.  In the late 1990's, and again in 2010 the Hall had major refurbishments, which have resulted in a Village Hall, full of character, but with modern facilities. 

Details of the hall, and booking arrangements,  may be seen by clicking the following link: South Pool Village Hall

Millbrook InnThe Millbrook Inn
"The Millbrook Inn", a tiny but award winning pub is in the centre of the village in every sense.  Having been closed for the duration of "Lockdown" this lovely Inn is on the verge of opening its doors again (22nd July 2020).  We look forward to its thriving success, under new management, as the beating heart of South Pool.
The Millbrook Inn

Pontoon and EstuaryPontoon and Estuary
South Pool is situated on South Pool Creek, an arm of the Kingsbridge/Salcombe Estuary.  South Pool has its own Pontoon for visiting boats to moor and there are swinging moorings in South Pool Creek itself.  South Pool Creek is very tidal, with a maximum access time of about 4 hours even on spring tides, so check the tide tables before visiting by boat!  There is a strict 6 knot, no wake, speed limit in South Pool Creek.  All the estuary facilities are managed by The Salcombe Harbour Office.

The Jubilee Plantation and Field

The Jubilee Plantation and Field 
The Jubilee Plantation of Monterey pines and field are situated on one of
the highest points of the parish, adjacent to the Beaconspark Plantation -
so named because the area was one of the chain of beacons along the south
coast of England in Elizabethan times. The Plantation was created by
villagers with the aid of the National Trust to mark the Golden Jubilee of
HM Queen Elizabeth in 2002 and to act as a landmark for future generations.
It replaced a prominent 100 year-old pine close to the site that had been destroyed by lightning. The adjacent 1.5 acre field is available for village events.